The state awards always seem to come around sooo quickly each year. And the same thing happens in my office every single time. I decide that I won’t enter “I have nothing worthy, I didn’t plan for the awards AGAIN”
I check out past winners & see the INCREDIBLE level of talent we have here in the ACT (seriously, you should check them out here) & decide that the best thing to do is just plan to shoot for the awards next year. However, this year my buddy Lib (winner of APPA 2014 Gold with Distinction Award in the Travel Category) told me to stop being silly & just do it. It helped that she came over & looked at my possible image choices, gave me a no-holds-barred critique & advice on image preparation.
- There’s so much that goes into choosing & preparing prints for the STATE & NATIONAL photography awards. There’s so much to consider:
- Does the image tell a story, capture a moment, evoke an emotion?
- Is it above normal professional standard?
- Does it have a different take on something more traditional?
- Is it technically good?
- Is there anything unique about it?
- What choices have been made in consideration to how has it been edited & printed (the paper choice, the matting, crop, the processing, how are the highlights & shadows dealt with, tones…etc)
…so I entered…
I am glad I did. The feedback I received from the judges will help me to grow as a photographer, encourage me to shoot more personal work, push me out of my safe space, learn new skills and keep looking at the world differently to see something
wonderful everywhere I go.
Keep looking at the world differently to see something wonderful everywhere I go